Homesick...
I can remember as a kid, I would get desperately
homesick. I found it difficult to even
go to a slumber party. While other kids
were enjoying camp, I stayed close to home.
It wasn’t until I was in my later high school years that I actually
managed a week away. It wasn’t that I
was scared, or maybe I was. But all
kinds of feelings of anxiousness would well up inside me and I’d feel alone,
out of place, worried for those I loved who weren’t with me. It wasn’t the house or place that I missed,
but my family, my ‘people’, those with whom I had strong and deep
relationships. It was really hard. Harder still was to not let on that while I
was smiling, there was a battle going on in my heart and mind. I just wanted to be home, safe, with those
who loved me and in the place where I knew I belonged. My mother used to comfort me and reassure me
that it would all be well, giving me messages of hope and reassurance, but
until I got back home, I wasn’t settled or at peace.
When my mother got older, she developed Dementia. It’s an awful disease that slowly robs the
sufferer and their family of memories, recognition, and peace. As the disease progressed, Mom would often
say “I just want to go home”. My sisters
and I would look at each other and wonder, what home is she thinking of? Was it the retirement community where she
used to live? Was it the house in
Huntingdon Valley where she spent 49 years with my father, raising my sisters and
me? Was it her childhood home in the
Wissinoming section of Philadelphia? She
struggled because she didn’t really know where she was or who we were, but she
did know that concept of ‘home’ – that was a place where she would feel safe; that
was where she belonged. It was where she
was known and loved. Even in the midst
of losing her mind, she understood ‘home’ and struggled to get there to that
place of safety and peace.
Home. Isn’t it
interesting that God uses that picture of home to describe eternity with Him? In John 14:2-3 Jesus says, “My Father’s house
has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going to
prepare a place for you? And if I go and
prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you
also may be where I am.” Then,
Revelation 21:3-4 says “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and
he will dwell with them. They will be
his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or
crying or pain, for the older order of things has passed away.” Living with God is how He intended life to
be. Look back to the Garden in Genesis,
where God would walk with Adam in the cool of the day. Can’t you just feel your soul breathe out
contentment? Close your eyes and imagine
that perfect garden, warm evening air and the sound of birds and breezes. Then imagine walking along with God next to
you, answering all your questions, smiling warmly at you because He loves you
so much, and you thinking, this is just where I belong. There’s no place more perfect.
Maybe when we feel out of place or restless and unsettled, longing
for something that we just can’t define, it is God’s stirring in us homesickness
for Heaven and for life with Him. We
were never meant to be settled and comfortable in this fallen world. God created us to have sweet and abiding
fellowship with Him eternally. That
restless, unsettled distraction and frustration is our spirit saying “I was
meant for another place, this isn’t home!”
When we face pain or when we come face to face with loss and grief, our
hearts being ripped out as we say goodbye to someone we loved, it’s a hideous
reminder that This. Is. Not. Home.
Be intentional. Recognize
that this world will never deliver on those false promises of peace,
satisfaction, and freedom; it will only serve to remind us that this isn’t what
God intends for us. Don’t wrestle with
your restlessness or make yourself ineffective with angst. Use it to stir your desire to pursue God, run after Him with your whole heart. The closer you grow to Him and his heart, the more your heart will recognize your identity and home is in Him. Or, maybe you’re unsettled, but you have no
idea why and you’re unsure about how to have a relationship with God. If you’d
like to know more about that, I would be so excited to talk to you!
Remind yourself of God’s promises. He’s prepared a home for us. He intends for us to live with Him in sweet
fellowship. He promises that we’ll be
home with Him and right where we belong, in the place where be belong, where we
are known and loved. Homesickness
reminds us that there’s something better waiting for us!
Are you homesick?

Thank you, Brenda. You have blessed my Saturday morning 😘
ReplyDeleteThis whole subject has been the refrain of my thoughts and dreams lately. I get so busy being about the work of ministry of "loving my neighbor", I forget that the GREATEST commandment is "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." In learning to love Him...be with Him...walk in the cool of the day by His side...be yoked to Him, His love flows through me to my neighbor. But the greatest thing is loving God. Homesick...yes! It describes my yearning. Thank you, Brenda for putting it exactly as I would have if I had your gift! Blessing, dear!
ReplyDelete