The image in the mirror




Self-Image. 

If we’re honest, a lot of us struggle in this area.  I don’t know about you, but I’m not really one to look in the mirror and think “Wow, I look good!”  Most days it’s more like “Well, this is as good as it’s going to get.”  The mirror shows me the flaws.  The ‘less than’ reaches out and catches my eye, demands my attention, and reinforces to me that I’m far from beautiful. 

But today, I read something that caught my attention in a different way.
Psalm 84:1 “How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty.”  And I stopped…and began to think about what that really means.  If I have Christ in my heart and life, and if the Holy Spirit indwells me, then I am God’s dwelling place.  And if I am God’s dwelling place….that makes me lovely.  Lovely.  Beloved.  Worthy. 

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 says “Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?” 

Now, go back and read the description of the Temple in the Old Testament, 1 Kings 6.  The Temple was adorned with gold everywhere.  The beautiful wood panels were hand carved with intricate detail that showcased the finest artistry.  It was stunning and fit for God himself.  God gave the instructions on just how to build it and He chose to dwell there.  The beauty and lavish riches of the Temple were tribute to the Almighty God.  Later, that beautiful temple was destroyed by Israel’s enemies. 

But instead of rebuilding the physical temple, God chose to make his people, believers and followers of Christ His new dwelling place.  All the riches, gold, and artistry couldn’t compare with His beloved.  His creation.  WE ARE THAT TEMPLE.  WE are God’s dwelling place, his beloved, worthy, lovely dwelling.

So the next time you look in the mirror, I encourage you to look that person in the eyes and say “I am God’s dwelling place and I am lovely, I am valued, and I am His beloved.”

Don’t let the lies of the mirror deceive you.  Let the love of the Father define you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soul Rest

A purposeful pause

The challenge of parking straight...and making good choices.